About Me

I have voted in every Presidental election since I have been old enough to vote. I have voted for both Republican and Democratic candidates. I am getting more interested in the doings of the government as I am getting older. My typology test result scored me as a Conservative Democrat. I am taking this class because it is required however I want to get as much out of the class as possible since I have to be here. I did okay on the civis and current event quizzes. I also learned a few things that I either did not know or remembered after finishing the quizzes.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Racial Profiling, a Thing of the Past?

I agree that stopping people just because they looked like they are not citizens is not the answer to solving illegal immigration issues. This subject matter is and will continue to be a difficult one to resolve in the future. I’m not one to cry racial profiling every time something does not go my way. I was stopped once for speeding and I strongly believe that I was racially profiled (this is the only time that I felt this way). I also knew that I was not going to get a ticket. There were cars all around me going much faster than I. I was going one-mile over the speed limit (cruise control was set 56 in a 55 zone).
All of us may be guilty of racial profiling to a certain degree. We are often taught to think certain thoughts of different ethnic groups. If we cannot identify a person’s ethnicity by looking at them we can often tell by their name.
About two years ago at a little after ten o’clock in the evening, I knocked on the door of a neighbor of mine, a Hispanic female with two pre-teen kids. She looked out the window and saw me and shook her head no to opening the door to me. Even though we had seen each other countless times we have never spoken to each other. I softly said to her through the window, “Your keys are in the door” and I walked away. Was I offended? Not even in the slightest bit. I was perfectly okay with her behavior because of the time of day and her not knowing me. I know that I am not out to do anybody any physical or bodily harm. This young lady did come by my place the next day and thank me.
One more story that I feel is worth mentioning. This story comes from a very good friend of mine who is now in his mid seventies. He is from India and when his father was here visiting the United States in the early 50’s he had boarded a city bus. Someone approached him and told him that he had to go to the back of the bus to sit. The moment they learned that he was from India, he was more than welcome to keep his set.
Arizona might be forced to review and change their new law. There is strength in numbers and illegal or not the Hispanic population has the numbers and perhaps the resources to change things for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment